Monday, November 28, 2011

Bah Humbug

Christmas Spirit is fading fast. It was in full swing a month ago. At this point I realize that when we get and put up our tree there will be less than 2 weeks until Christmas. Why bother?

I'm considering buying the cheapest table top tree ever instead.

Then I realize that my Scrooge mentality is going to ruin the kids Christmas. I just can't see spending money on a fake tree to have it up for less than 2 weeks. I can't see spending less money on a cheap tree when I won't want to use it next year. Neither one of us wants to deal with the hassle of a live tree and all its needles in our carpet. There doesn't seem to be much compromise in this issue and it is really bumming me out.

I think we are just going to end up spending a fortune on a tree to just have up for 2 weeks. There really isn't any other way around it. Christmas isn't really Christmas without a tree.

My Christmas Spirit was at the highest it has been in a long time just a month ago. The closer we get to Christmas and the more I realize nothing is going the way I was hoping, the more Scrooge-like I get.

I need to snap out of it. Christmas is not about me and my plans. The kids don't care how long the tree is up for, just that it is up. They don't care that not everything can go as planned, just that it goes at all.

Part of this funk is this lingering low grade fever/sinus issues I have been dealing with. They are wiping me out. I don't feel like me right now. I feel like a whiny, sick, exhausted version of me. One with high expectations and zero motivation. Things that don't work together at all.

2 comments:

  1. You're buying a fake tree. That means that you'll use the same tree next year. It's not "just for two weeks" since it'll be reused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas is about the kids - not about the tree, the decorations, or even the presents. It's about showing the ones you love just how much you love them. And that is important enough to be celebrated - no matter what your circumstances.

    ReplyDelete